Monday, June 9, 2008

Blowout and a near blowout ruins my Sunday













First up, I love tennis and I can’t play at all. Still I grew up enjoying watching from Pete Sampras to Andre Agassi to Chris Evert to Steffi Graf. Then the arrival of the William sisters in later years made me so proud and excited to see someone on the court who looked closer to what I look like. So now I come to this past weekend of the French Open Final and since Pete and Andre have retired I’ve been bored with men’s tennis because clearly Andy Roddick and James Blake well anyway they will never be Roger Federer.

So that brings me to my Sunday and Roger Federer became what I missed most when Pete Sampras retired. Since the aforementioned American men clearly won’t be what Pete and Andre were and all of their great rivalries I got hooked on Roger Federer and the latest big rivalry he has with Raffi Nadal and it was painful just flat out painful watching Raffi kick his ass. How do you have a FINAL with scores of 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 I mean damn the last set you just don’t even win a game sheesh. Roger like Pete seems to be able to win everything but the damn French. I guess like Pete one day he’ll retire not ever having won it just hurt like hell.

Now on to the almost blowout was Game 2 between the Celtics and the Lakers and once again Paul Pierce was the truth. Kobe tried his best and after being down as many as 24 point my Lakers came back and cut it to two but couldn’t come all the way back, at least unlike Federer they put up a better effort but a lost is still a lost, Kobe and gang please please for ratings sake, and game sake don’t get swept it’s not pretty not at all, I still have nasty memories of the Lakers being swept in 89 so please don’t repeat that nearly 20 years later……

1 comment:

Tami P said...

Is there any sport you don't love? LOL Great post.